Which nation do you support?

My friend Pat asked me, " So which nation do you support at the World Cup?".  Really good question as I am not a World Cup fan.  I had to answer her anyway but my mind took a brief journey to the past.

But I remember during my younger days, my dad and I would watch Singapore and Malaysia kick it out for the trophy.  I knew every Singapore player's name on the team.  As for foreign football, well...I only knew the name of a player if he was cute.  That's the truth!

At one World Cup, I really liked England and knew all the players' names!  Don't even ask me about the rules of football.  No nothing..nada!


Last evening over dinner, I was impressed when my older niece and her sister conversed about football and selection of players for the national team.  Wow!


Anyway, back to Pat's question.  I have to be honest and say, "Really, I don't care much about the World Cup.  But I do like sports and I would support any team that really plays fair, not dirty.  I would support the team that respects the sport and the players on the field.  I would support the team that really plays well for their country and crowd.  I would support the team that does not take any bribe to lose a game!" http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/sports/soccer/fixed-matches-cast-shadow-over-world-cup.html?_r=0

More importantly, as part of my Christian walk, I want to remember each nation in this major sports event before the Throne of Grace and Mercy.

By the way, do note that you can get that colorful football downloaded from www.shutterstock.com.

Waiting to hear my sis and niece scream as Switzerland is playing soon,
Rachel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Woman's Personal Perspective on the Trump Presidency and the Women's March

Now What Do I Do About The Selected President of Singapore? - Some Personal Thoughts

Being Quiet Amidst The Pandemic