A Pregnant Pause

Hello everyone,
I am back after a pregnant pause of eleven months from blogging.  During these months, I have learnt much, re-prioritized ministry efforts and spent time resting with God, family and friends.  Interestingly, I did not have the desire to blog during these last eleven months.  So, here is my first blog for 2019 related to the pregnant pause in my life.

Taking a break, a Shabbat as I call it, is always a good thing.  It allowed me to reconnect with my family, my friends and my country.  Being in Singapore for 5.5 months was definitely a long time for me.  I decided to give myself this time for two reasons: 1.  Out of obedience to God as He wanted me to spend more time with my family and friends  2.  It was time for a rest of some sort.

Obedience to God
God in His great scheme of things knew that my dad would pass on during my time of Shabbat.  It has always been my prayer that God would take him away while I was in my birth-nation.  So, when dad passed away on 24th August 2019, I was at peace and joyful.  God had answered my prayer.  He is truly the Giver of the desires of our heart.
We celebrated dad's 87th birthday 26 days before he passed away. All his daughters and grandchildren and his family members were present to celebrate his life.  He was well then.  The photo on the right would be the last time he would pose with his girls.  Thinking about it, my sisters and I are so thankful that we had a great celebration with dad and took the photos with him.  He is our hero, after all.
Through the time of the funeral, God gave me an immense amount of strength.  I must say that part of this is in knowing that God answered my prayers specifically, not once but thrice.  The first I have mentioned above but the last two, I will keep close to my heart.

The Rest of Some Sort
It was such an awesome start to my "rest of some sort" as I began my Shabbat in gorgeous Morocco.  I was a little apprehensive about traveling by myself but I had such care from my hotel-owners and enjoyed my time alone in the famous Blue City of Morocco, Chefchaouen!  It was an amazing time of enjoying Moroccan culture, food, sights and smells.  It was a little cold for me.  During my time, I sensed God's perfect peace and protection.











I knew that it was not going to be a complete Shabbat from ministry.  However, God brought me some ministries that allowed me to keep current with one of my passions.  I enjoy discussing, debating, disseminating and demonstrating servant-leadership.  It was such a blessing to be able to serve with Haggai Myanmar by facilitating a Leadership course; to contribute my thoughts on the Leadership curriculum with Haggai Malaysia and to help with the Iban Methodist Church (Kuching) youths to be excited about intentional outreach.


In the process of ministering, I re-connected with my Iban friends in Sarawak, East Malaysia; made new Malaysian friends and enjoyed the movement of God's Spirit at a prayer meeting; learnt about the Myanmar culture; worked hard to prepare 24 hours of servant-leadership lessons and spoke from my heart and experiences at three chapel services.  I loved every moment of these surprises that came my way this year.

REST IN GOD'S WAYS!


The icing on the cake was a dream come true for me:  to serve with the Singapore Bible College (SBC).  And yes, I offered a 24-hour course on Servant-Leadership with the Centre for Servant-Leaders.  I was also invited to be the main speaker at the Mak Haay Missions Challenge Week at SBC.  What an honor!


For a total rest, my best friend Carol and I dashed off to a two-week Scotland-England trip and "roughed it out" by being budget travellers and not dragging huge suitcases with us.  We succeeded traveling around with just a cabin bag and a backpack. I even got to minister in London when my hostess and friend Anu coordinated a meeting of Asians.  It was such a warm fellowship with new friends.


Spending time with my parents and sisters was also good.  There was no agenda; we would meet when we could to have a meal.  We also took turns in helping out with our parents.  I, as usual, had a hilarious time trying to take care of my parents when my sister (the main caregiver) was away on a two-week holiday.  Thank God that my youngest sister (the other care-giver) was around!


As always, meeting my friends from my military days is always an event in itself.  This time, we celebrated by traveling together for a short trip and simply enjoyed re-connecting.

I even got to visit the iconic renovated Raffles Hotel with another good friend, Geraldine.  We definitely enjoyed our "sikit-atas" tea together.

Singapore was just a blast - too many friends and stories to tell.  It is always a comfort zone and spending so much time was definitely a treat for me.

My final week was spent in Bali celebrating Haggai International's Jubilee and enjoying the company of some of my friends from around the world.

It was great to meet my friends Dr. Ramesh Richard and his wife Bonnie.  Dr. Richard was the main speaker at the Jubilee Celebration. He challenged the leaders to "seize the harvest opportunity for humanity's eternity!





Much blessings in Christ and all glory to God alone,
Rachel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Woman's Personal Perspective on the Trump Presidency and the Women's March

Being Quiet Amidst The Pandemic

Now What Do I Do About The Selected President of Singapore? - Some Personal Thoughts